Name: Archana Dilipbhai Solanki
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Personal Website: http://http://www.4ckers.wordpress.com
Skype ID or GTalk: SkypeID archanaa.solanki
IRC nick: If you have been talking to people in the #wordpress-dev or #wordpress-gsoc channels on IRC, include your IRC nickname here so the mentors will recognize you.
Phone number: +917769055890,+918980446578
School Name: Symbiosis International University
Years completed: First
PHP Experience Level: Intermediate
WordPress Experience Level: Plugin/theme developer
Link to project description on WordPress-powered blog: http://wp.me/p4j27g-1a
Describe your idea in detail:
I will describe the project into three separate tasks:
- Create Live Search
- Create a page for settings
- Improve search results
The detailed outline about each task mentioned above.
1. Create Live Search
– I will create live search to display the search results into a window just below the search bar. I will use jQuery in order to complete this task. It will also require some use of css as well so design the look of the window. I will use jQuery because it is already being used on WordPress dashboard and I believe use of Ajax will take a bit longer to load the site compared to jQuery (Please correct me if I am wrong). This task will be really helpful to users as it will instantly display the results as per the priority set by the user. So he will be able to get the result quickly. This will display high priority results on top then the less along with the number of counts with the result. I will also include themes as search results specifically for those customers who use multisite feature so that they can search for a particular theme. Including this can help to the users who don’t use multisite and have a large amount of themes with them. I will not forget to make it responsive.
2. Create a separate page for settings
– The page for settings will allow the users to select the position of the search bar and also they will be able to set priorities of the search results. I will give users the freedom to choose either a separate page for omnisearch or to display it on each page: All Posts, all media, all pages, all links and all comments. I feel this will be really useful to them as search is required everywhere. The priority for search results will include Posts, Pages, Links, Themes, Comments and Media. Posts will further be displayed as per the results found in post titles followed by post excerpt and content. This will help the user to customize the search as per their needs. I will do it using add_submenu_page and call the function to display the default structure of WordPress.
3. Improve Search results
– My efforts will be more emphasized at this particular task because prioritize results as per user’s requirement needs a lot to work on! As I have mentioned in the previous task, I will allow users to set priority for posts, pages, media, links, themes and comments. I would like to explain this by giving an example. Suppose a user has set post as his first priority followed by pages and then themes. So in the search results window, the results will be displayed as first all the posts then the pages followed by themes. All the search results will be displayed with the number of counts of the results. So that the user will be able get the result very quickly. I will use default WordPress functionality wp_query for this.
What have you done so far with this idea: Working on live search on my locally installed WordPress
Plugin, theme, or core: A plugin for JobBoard divided into small modules
Anticipated challenges: I have not worked with WordPress core yet so I am working hard on it to get into it.
Potential mentors: No preference
Schedule of Deliverables
Milestones and deliverables schedule:
- 04/30 – Submit patch to review my work
- 05/01 to 05/06 – Collect resources needed to work on this project
- 05/07 to 05/20 – Work on the live search module and submit it to review
- 05/21 to 05/25 – Work on the changes mentioned by the mentor
- 05/26 to 06/06 – Work on the second module – Settings page and submit it for review
- 06/07 to 06/15 – Work on the changes mentioned by the mentor
- 06/16 to 07/05 – Work on the third module – Prioritize the search results
- 07/06 to 07/11 – Work on the changes mentioned
- 07/12 to 07/20 – Start testing using PHP unit testing for each modules
- 07/21 to 07/31 – Work on the bug fixes
- 08/01 to 08/10 – Write documentation for the project
Other commitments: Yes, as I am regular student of M.Tech I will be having exams and also I will have to prepare for the internship which is there in the coming semester
Open Source Development Experience
PHP Experience: I have worked on an Online shopping website and a Chat application in core PHP. Not able to submit links as these were the curriculum projects and built on localhost, not published yet.
Other Open Source/Free Software Experience: I am going to submit one very soon
Work Experience: I am having a hands on experience working with WordPress since more than 2 years. I have created lots of plugins for the same company along with number of themes. One of the best project I have done till date is a plugin “Tevolution” which club all the basic and advanced featured as add-ons into a single plugin. Please find more details about the plugin. Currently I am pursuing M.Tech from Symbiosis International University on regular basis. I have just started working as a Freelancer just because my love for WordPress.
I am familiar with the code standards, plugin development standards, readme file and licence standards followed by WordPress. I am little bit familiar with the WordPress core coding however I am working hard to get into this. I am following the IRC channel done by you on this topic. I have already work on a Live Search plugin along with the prioritized search results at Templatic and hence I am really sure I will get succeed in introducing enhanced Omnisearch to our WordPress!
Academic Institution: Symbiosis International University, Symbiosis Knowlwsge Village, Gram: Lavale, Tal.: Mulshi, District: Pune
Current Program: Masters of Technology – First year candidate
Anticipated Graduation: 2015
Academic Performance: Networking, Cloud computing, Algorithms, Web services and tehnology, Information Systems, Intelligent Systems, Advanced Database Management Systems. I have secured 74% in first semester.
GSoC for Credit: No
1. Prof. Preeti Mulay – firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Prof. Shraddha Phansalkar – email@example.com
3. Prof. Ambika Pawar – firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Prof. Shilpa Gite – email@example.com
You’re applying to work with WordPress during GSoC because: The very first thing attracts me to WordPress is it’s user friendliness. WordPress has everything for everyone. In 2011, I started working with WordPress as a Technical Support Executive and I was quite fascinated with this software. I started getting int WordPress then on and till date I am learning. The other reason is it is opensource CMS which helps all the developers to get help. The major reason choosing WordPress is WordPress welcomes everyone to contribute to it unlike other systems. Anyone with some expertise can be the member of the core team and that thing motivated me to be the one like you.